Wednesday, January 20, 2016

What Did I Learn Today?


Everyday here at Lewis University I am absolutely astonished at the immense amount of information and new knowledge that I obtain on a daily basis. Education has never been as exciting and compelling as it is now at the college level. After completing one semester in college I feel that I have learned many of the basics of how things work here at the University. I am aware of how important my studies are and how vital it is to take good notes, and read all of my material on a daily basis in order to do well in class. I have also learned that there is never any time period in college where I have nothing to do, there is always something to read or study. With this knowledge I have been able to apply my best to my classes and I have made certain that I work to obtain all the knowledge that I can from my courses.

Little did I realize, that I had started learning even before I came to school. For example, this morning before I left my mom showed me how to make an omelette on the stove. They are one of my favorite breakfast dishes, but I had never made one before and I was getting sick of the usual scrambled eggs. After I enjoyed the omelette I had made I headed off to Lewis for my first class of the day today which was Math.

 I learned quite a bit in this class today. We are working on giving mathematical presentations and I learned some important tips as to how to make sure the class retains the material and the best ways to present the information. After math class I then headed to my College Writing 2 class, where I learned something that came to me as quite the surprise. We have been discussing different points of view and perspectives in class. My teacher then did an experiment to demonstrate this to us. He gave us a topic and expected us to label the topic under one genre or theme. We did this activity in groups and surprisingly none of the groups had the same answer. Dr. Wielgos then explained to us that this was the point he was trying to make in that all readers have different perspectives on an author's writing. As the writer it is up to us to determine our audience, which is not solely Dr. Wielgos. It truly is amazing what you can learn in a day!


No comments:

Post a Comment